Tuesday, October 18, 2005

3 Parts. One hand.

PT. 1 Trap setting without the nuts
Against the right players you don't need the nuts to set a trap. Against some players, in some situations your hand can be pretty awful but you can still set a trap. I'll get in to that more but first I'll introduce you to part 2.

PT. 2 Trapping without checking/calling.
A weak bet often looks like free money to a player who loves aggression and is reckless. So it's often easier to trap a player like this by betting and giving him something to get greedy over.

Pt. 3 Never say Never.
There are some things I generally don't do playing poker. This includes minraising preflop. However rules are made to be broken. If you found perfect poker rules to follow you'd be pretty predictable. This isn't blackjack. However if you break these rules you're gonna need a plan and you're gonna need a reason.


Putting all 3 parts into play.
In this hand I had seen this player severely overplay A6s. So when he limps from the SB I assume he's weak, but that doesn't mean he can't overplay whatever his weak holdings are. So I min raise here. Partly because I can afford to miss a flop if he calls and I miss and I lose the hand. Also I think he'll quite possibly pay me off if I hit. Also he may come back over the top with a hand that I'm racing or ahead of. But I don't think I'm gonna be behind here. Even with KQ. Not right now against this guy with his SB limp.


Putting all 3 parts into play.

PokerStars Game #2834326835: Tournament #13953580, Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2005/10/18 - 16:10:14 (ET)
Table '13953580 1' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 2: ekillian (1085 in chips)
Seat 4: McGwire2003 (2415 in chips)
Seat 5: Sbenasse (3180 in chips)
Seat 6: Mad__Money06 (925 in chips)
Seat 7: miloose (1580 in chips)
Seat 8: Amour_Zero (4315 in chips)
Amour_Zero: posts small blind 50
ekillian: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ekillian [Qd Kc]
McGwire2003: folds
Sbenasse: folds
Mad__Money06: folds
miloose: folds
Amour_Zero: calls 50
ekillian: raises 100 to 200
Amour_Zero: raises 800 to 1000
ekillian: raises 85 to 1085 and is all-in
Amour_Zero: calls 85
*** FLOP *** [6h 5d 3s]
*** TURN *** [6h 5d 3s] [3h]
*** RIVER *** [6h 5d 3s 3h] [Kh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Amour_Zero: shows [Ks Js] (two pair, Kings and Threes)
ekillian: shows [Qd Kc] (two pair, Kings and Threes - Queen kicker)
ekillian collected 2170 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2170 | Rake 0
Board [6h 5d 3s 3h Kh]
Seat 2: ekillian (big blind) showed [Qd Kc] and won (2170) with two pair, Kings and Threes
Seat 4: McGwire2003 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Sbenasse folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Mad__Money06 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: miloose (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Amour_Zero (small blind) showed [Ks Js] and lost with two pair, Kings and Threes

No comments: